Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

setting a beautiful Mother’s Day table

Mother’s Day is such a special occasion. If you visit here regularly, you know how much I love creating pretty tablescapes and flower arrangements. And although I have no idea what I’ll be doing yet, I thought I’d share some ideas that I’m loving right now for a Mother’s Day celebration.

396b507671321b067f8387b859d8a1adgree

via

Alright. Maybe you don’t have a charming old door to hang for this creative alfresco table setting. But wouldn’t this be a unique dining experience? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten off a door before.

But this indoor setting might be more practical.

47e11066d0c5e11a9a00f4f9fb4f1a0csuzi

Isn’t this a sweet idea for place cards?

At this table each guest has their name tag attached to measuring spoons. What a great idea for a mother who loves baking.

cg12_thumb6

Mother’s Day is a perfect time to bring feminine touches to the table.

Book pages and music sheets make sweet place mats .

typepad_thumb8

via

But I think personalizing the table by using sentimental items adds that special touch. Consider using a vintage style postcard that tells a story about the guest of honor. Add their name to make a unique place card.

SavannahStyle_MomsDay01_thumb5

pauladeen.com

Or use this idea; each guest has a place card with a photo of her own mother on it. It’s simply a piece of cardstock that also has a flower clipped to it. How easy and personal is that?

diy-vintage-photo-tablerunnerruffledblog_thumb[3]

And if you like the sentimental idea of using photographs, click HERE …and you’ll learn how to make this beautiful table runner.

DSC_2019_thumb4

I like getting creative when it comes to the flower centerpieces. It doesn’t have to be anything grand or elaborate.

Mother’s Day is a chance to pull out all of your special thrift store finds for your table.

untitledhometowngirl_thumb[4]

Personally I love seeing flowers inside old tarnished pieces of silver …

anemones_wedding_flowers_thumb4

or placed inside pretty tea tins for a bit of charm.

DSC_2017 (2)use_thumb[7]msw_su_06_gt_teatin_hd_thumb[8]

When planning a special table for someone,

I like to incorporate unique touches that say something about the guest of honor.

25dc65d73f62a10b966402a67b967143allp

Like this crossword puzzle. Wouldn’t this be a cool addition to a brunch table setting?

original_Camille-Styles-Events-outdo[2]

via

I included this table because it’s a perfect example of how you don’t have to spend lots of money on flowers to make a statement. Look how lovely a few green plants can be when paired with classic linens. Do you see the plant inside the trifle bowl?

Using everyday items for your table adds personality and keeps the costs down.

And here’s something I want to do for my next brunch.

I want to set up this lovely help-yourself mimosa bar.

DSC_2014use_thumb4

On this table bottles of pear nectar, cranberry juice and papaya juice (love those labels) are next to fresh fruit garnishes inside berry baskets…

DSC_2016use_thumb8

right next to the bottles of champagne.

(those are raspberries, apple slices and papaya slices in the fruit baskets, how delicious)

DSC_2013-2use_thumb9

When setting up your brunch table, use baskets that are lined with colorful linens to display your food. It’s easy and it looks so pretty. I collect my best baskets at thrift stores.

f5de3ae32961e0cb3b2d0da546888d16_thu

via

Use chalkboards to label dishes.

e3a24e62b69b2ce4e1deac06bdf8c3d6_thu

c11a24800e74fc4662653d555e0aaa2b_thu

Even syrup look special when it’s served in small crystal decanters.

2964136e6842cf8a70da71d7429e4630_thu

via

To complete this look, stack cake pedestals for height and order milk bottles and cheery, striped straws HERE.

d9e04c2f3545d218ad592e39dc62ffd8_thu

And don’t forget these Bloody Mary shooters at your brunch.

Don’t they look yummy?

Untitled_thumb5

But before I go, here’s one last idea. While I think this centerpiece looks pretty enough, don’t you think it would be perfect if it spelled out MOTHER?

You can make your own handwritten mugs by using Sharpie paint pens. Or better yet, this is a perfect project for your kids.

3dba5fed5edab5fc6eee63aa10be08e2_thumb[5]

I guess you can see by now that on Mother’s Day I prefer sentimental tables over formal ones. Actually, I love anything home-made, especially when it comes from my boys. Which reminds me, if only our husbands and kids could read this post!

Oh well, if you’re a mother and you liked a few of these ideas, pass them on to the people in your life! Really.

tumblr_mc1rymvvt51qa8ykjo1_500_thumb[5]

Because you deserve to feel special.

Wishing you a Mother’s Day filled with love,

Leslie

 

I’m linking this post with some of these friends:

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful looks!
Sherry

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my, one beautiful idea after another! That photo runner is especially cool! And that hanging door table - so unique! Makes me want to throw a party!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love outdoor meals. The table settings are so pretty, and the hanging door is a pretty cool idea...but maybe not very practical. A "moving" table could be very dangerous

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Love all the ideas....thanks for sharing it. I'm so glad I dropped by!

Unknown said...

All absolutely gorgeous Leslie, wonderful choices, isn't it lovely to make that extra effort.

Hope you are well XX

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showcasing so many wonderful ideas, I have pinned several and my favorite is the photo table runner~too fabulous! Of course I love that hanging door table, but wouldn't it sway? Ha, it is so awesome though! Happy Mother's Day,
Jenna

Lori said...

What great ideas Leslie ~ there are so many of them I would love to try with the casserole you posted!!

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Oh dear I yelled at my lot last night, feeling so overtired and under-appreciated.. I think I'll be drinking my champagne by myself!

But such lovely warm and light here. Need some of it! Xx

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a help yourself mimosa bar. Gorgeous flowers and beautiful ideas.

Unknown said...

All wonderful ideas indeed.
I think the word should stay at LOVE.
Thanks for sharing.

Eve said...

This is so great! Thanks. I am planning a mother's Day Tea for my in laws so this is quite helpful to get me going.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

So many wonderful, inspiring ideas...I especially love the mimosa bar and self-serve ideas! The photo table runner is really special!

Blondie's Journal said...

These are wonderful ideas and such beautiful tables! I think I'm going to use my chalkboard to add to the Mimosa Bar for brunch! I think there is something for everyone to pull out of these images. Thanks so much!

I found your blog through Lori at Wildflowers and I am loving it!

XO,
Jane

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Our first table when we were in university was an old door that we found dumped on the side of the road.It was a lot of "fun" but I totally forgot about using doors. Thanks for the reminder. Great images Leslie. I love the floral arrangements and cannot wait until I can bring some beautiful branches indoors and have them blooming inside.

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

This is serious eye candy my friend. The first picture with the hanging door as the table is so lovely. I don't know a mother in the world who wouldn't want to pull up there and be treated to a special Mother's Day.

P.S. I think I need lots of vintage tea cans now. XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...